The DF-Scope™ is a customer-inspired, multiphoton, imaging package for the ubiquitous BX51WI upright microscope. Many laboratories already have BX51WI microscopes for use in electrophysiology and epifluorescent imaging experiments. The DF-Scope package provides the necessary optics and electronics for the BX51WI to be used for multiphoton imaging (with the addition of a Ti:Sapphire laser). The design incorporates subassemblies from the Sutter Instrument MOM™ (Movable Objective Microscope®) system including resonant and galvo scan boxes and controllers, detector paths, PMTs, PMT power supplies, scan lenses and tube lenses.
A hallmark of multiphoton imaging is that all of the light emitted by the sample is known to be from the focal volume as a result of the nonlinear excitation of the fluorophore. High sensitivity photomultiplier tubes (PMTs) are used to collect as many of these photons as is possible in order to reconstruct the scanned image. The DF-Scope design allows for two detector paths to gather more emitted light - one above the sample and one below. If using a thin sample, like a brain slice, we recommend the lower (sub-stage) detectors to increase signal detection. Additional signal will be available at the trans detector path. This substage detector assembly is designed to work with a variety of Olympus condensers.
NOTE: The DF-Scope design requires an Olympus BX51WI and the following Olympus parts: WI-ARMAD, 5-UR710LP and U-M619.
- Converts a standard Olympus BX51WI into a two-photon microscope while retaining standard microscope functions (transmitted light and epifluorescent imaging).
- Includes detector(s) and “whisper quiet” resonant scan box developed for the MOM™ 2-Photon microscope
- Upper and lower photodetectors for increased collection efficiency
- Fully compatible with the Sutter MPC-78 Large Moving Stage Platform and motorized focus drive
- Designed to be controlled with the Sutter MCS (MOM Computer System) Imaging Software including resonant scanning with MScan 2.0
- Also fully compatible with most multiphoton freeware such as ScanImage 5.0, Helioscan, and MPScope
- Breadboard format in scan pathway allows easy addition of photostimulation light sources to the main scanned laser path
Front panel Controls/Indicators
- Main power switch for entire unit
- Discrete controls/indicator for each PMT/channel including:
- On/Off Switch
- 10 turn potentiometer to set high voltage/gain
- LED display
Voltage and Current of rear panel outputs
PS-2 PMT High Voltage output, 0 to -1250 V DC, current 0.6mA
PS-2/LV PMT Module output, constant +15 V DC as well as control Vref supplied by module
Preamp/Auxiliary power outputs: ± 12 V DC, 200 mA per side. ±5V DC, 200mA per side
Dimensions (PS-2 or PS-2/LV)
16 in × 11 in × 3.5 in | 41 cm × 28 cm × 9 cm
Weight (PS-2 or PS-2/LV)
6.5 lbs | 3 kg
115/230 V, 50/60 Hz power line
SCOPE OF DELIVERY
The DF-SCOPE Multiphoton Imaging package for Olympus BX51WI Microscope includes Sutter-designed custom scanner mount with scan lens, tube lens and two-position mirror mount to choose between two photon and widefield operation, XY scanners with drive electronics, special Olympus-made, wide-field fluorescence unit that incorporates two photon detector pathway, two channel detector with PMTs, preamps and PS-2 power supply and data acquisition system.